22 June 2010 7 Comments

Heworth Grange CLC Podcasting Course Notes

Today I’ve been in Gateshead working with a group of MFL teachers on sourcing and creating podcasts in the MFL classroom. I covered various things in my workshops, and below you can find the links to the resources I’ve pointed out.

First of all, I run the Radio Lingua Network of language-learning podcasts, and our educational branch is called Radio Lingua Schools. On our Radio Lingua Schools website you can read about all the digital creativity workshops we run, working in the field of languages in primary and secondary schools up and down the country.

Introductory Discussion

I spoke about Twitter – sign up for your own Twitter account at http://twitter.com and you can then start following me – @markpentleton – and all the other MFL Twitterati I mentioned via Joe Dale’s MFL Twitterers group.

I also mentioned Wallwisher where you can “build a wall” and have your students post their homework as graffiti on the wall. You can read more about Simon Howell’s use of Wallwisher within MFL and there are more details of Helena Butterfield’s work here.

Another technology we had a brief look at was Voicethread which is a tool for talking about and sharing images, documents and videos. Jo Rhys-Jones has discussed various ways of using Voicethread in primary MFL here.

Fiona Joyce has created a wiki for MFL teachers using Storybird and Lisa Stevens has some examples on her site, including video versions of the Storybird stories she has created.

I suggested that using Google Maps, and specifically Street View is an excellent way of bringing the foreign culture into the classroom. It’s worth using http://maps.google.fr rather than the English language version, so that the interface is also in French. Google Maps and Street View are particularly useful for talking about the town, working with prepositions (eg. next to, opposite, etc.) and for practising giving directions. In addition, using “real” shops and services, street signs and even adverts and notices can bring added authenticity to a lesson.

Creating content

I showed examples of animations and film-making projects. Useful software links include:

The two podcast hosting services I mentioned were Podomatic and Libsyn.

For further information on making podcasts and using the apps mentioned, see these previous posts:

You may also be interested in our Creative Classroom series of tutorials and screencasts from CrunchEd Productions.

iPod Touch Project for Gateshead Schools

Peter has asked me to remind you that if you want to be part of the MFL iPod Touch project then please email him at p.haywood [at] hgclc.org.

7 Responses to “Heworth Grange CLC Podcasting Course Notes”

1. Sarah Thompson 22 June 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Hello!

Thanks for today it was great and i’ve just made my first Podcast!

Sarah

2. Mark 22 June 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks, Sarah – I’m glad you enjoyed it.

3. Lisa 27 June 2010 at 3:11 pm #

Hi Mark

I love all the tools you’ve mentioned and have blogged about them – thanks for the plug. My blog has actually moved to http://lisibo.co.uk – post is still on the old one but if you’re looking for new stuff…

Lisa xx

4. Anna 17 September 2010 at 6:15 am #

Hi- I accidentally got your coffee break spanish podcasts (my Mom lent me her iPod Touch, and it was on there, ha) and I’m very addicted. I’m also working on a series of titles of foreign language games for the iPhone, with a friend and French translator (Le Bingueau, at the apple store, also @bingueau on twitter). Besides that, I’m also a language learner (Chinese, Russian, Swedish, Italian, French & Spanish) and hope to get a few more titles out that are fun language tools. Nothing as comprehensive as your podcasts. OK one more thing- I’ve done some iPad development with crowd-sourced games, and hope to do some more group learning games with languages. *anyways* would love to keep connected, but I don’t see a twitter handle anywhere? I think the 365 song challenge is great, too.
    Thanks
    Anna

5. Helen Somerville 24 October 2011 at 10:44 am #

Hey Mark et al
    How can us Aussie teachers get access to some of your podcasting lessons.?
    Have enjoyed reading everything so far – any courses you recommend us do in the uk/europe when we’re there next year?
    cheers
    helen

6. Viki Stiebert 31 October 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Hi Mark,
    Had the great pleasure to attend a number of your workshops on the weekend, useful learning tools. Whilst there I heard that you and/or your team will be running some sessions in Bern, how do I get hole of this information as I have a number of teachers and administrators rearing to go…the ipad is transforming our school. Please let me know whom to contact. thanks Viki